Sunday, February 20, 2011

It's my life, don't you forget.

Arguing with my mom always places me in a horrible mood as it should. This all began on the topic of marijuana. I tried to explain to her how everyday I become a little less enthused by law and religion and a little more inclined to live life how I want. I don’t believe in religion and I’m growing to care less and less about laws. That doesn’t mean I won’t follow them, it just means I’m more likely to bend them to my liking. Somehow that processed in her mind to mean that I have no morals and that I’ll end up in jail. She jumped from marijuana use to me killing someone. Apparently, since I will break a law about using a substance I am more likely to kill someone. How that adds up, I’ll never know.

I really don’t feel the need to follow a bunch of guidelines made for me by man. Just because I don’t believe in following what someone else tells me to do with my life doesn’t mean I’m going to do things that are considered morally incorrect (who decides what morally correct is anyway?). In my opinion, I know what is right and wrong by how it affects other people. If I kill someone, I take away a life, someone’s loved one, friend, etc. If I steal from someone, I’m taking something that isn’t mine. If I cook up some crack and sell it, I’m possibly ruining someone’s life. However, if I decided to sit home one day and smoke marijuana no one is affected by me. I really feel that is the best way to measure morality. If you’re going to do something and you want to measure if it’s right or not, think about how it will affect someone else. I mean really think about how it could affect anyone in anyway. If what you’re going to do only affects yourself or it might affect someone, but in no way that will hurt them then it is moral. No?

People spend so much of their lives worrying about what other people are going to think or say or feel or do about whatever it is that they’re doing that they don’t get to live. Days are long, years are short. Life is long, but it passes by quickly. I don’t want to spend my life doing what other people told me to because according to them it is okay/right/correct. People don’t decide what is best for my life. I want to spend my life living the way I feel best suits me. I feel that if my decisions in life do not negatively affect someone else, if my decisions do no hurt anyone else in any way, then they are my decisions and mine alone. To bother means to take an effort to do something, to take the trouble to do something. Whatever decision anyone else chooses to make is their own and I am not bothered by it if I’m not affected. Being bothered would take some effort to care about something that doesn’t affect me.

If I don’t bother to affect you, don’t bother to question me.

1 comment:

Mina said...

i have found u! haha! beautiful words!its good to have a place to write your thoughts down espcially when u have such amazing writing skills!
xoxo
mina