Thursday, February 26, 2009

The realest dream of all.

I'm hanging on a ledge.
I feel my arm trembling.
My fingers slipping, sweaty, flattened
by the painful pressure of my body;
A ledge called stability.
I hate this ledge,
there's not enough room on this ledge,
there's not enough room on this ledge for my mind.

It had been tormenting me since I first laid eyes on it.
I longed to stand above it, confident and sure.
It told me I would never make it and that just made me want it more.
It made me chase it, it knew what it was doing.
That big golden ledge that seemed a thousand miles from where I was.
So I ran to it, I figured if I ran hard enough I could conquer it.
So I ran my hardest and as I came up to it I felt all the strength run through my legs.
I was in the air floating higher and higher.

Suddenly, I realized I had tried too hard, I jumped way too high.
I flew over the ledge watching it slowly pass below me.
I started falling so fast I could hardly catch my breath.
I waved my arms and legs as hard as I could wishing that I would magically be able to fly freely.
I saw it coming closer,
that stupid ledge,
it was just to my left.
I thought maybe if I reached my arms out real far I could grab it.
So I stretched my arms out as far as I could
and thats how I ended up here hanging off the side of stability
for years of my life because past age 13 nothing's simple anymore.
What a trip.

No comments: